Serving a Mission in Chile, Antofagasta for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Serving a Mission in Chile, Antofagasta for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Serving in the Chile, Antofagasta Mission

Monday, October 6, 2014

Being a Missionary Momma is not for the weak

Today I could sense a lot of self doubt in Pierce.  He's SO hard on himself.  All the time.  Today was one of those days that Elder McMullan's email yanked my heart strings.  The kind of email that made me want to jump on a plane so I could  just give my boy a HUGE hug and let him know how loved he truly is.  I would tell him how important and how valued he is to everyone that truly knows him! I'd tell him how unbelievably capable he is.  How much everyone that really, REALLY KNOWS him, KNOWS how amazing he really is.  I would remind him of what everyone at home thinks of him.  That he's one of the hardest workers they've ever known.  That he has a huge heart and is one of the most humble and selfless people they know.  I'd tell him how truly grateful Heavenly Father is for his selfless service.   I'd tell him what he already knows, that "titles" mean nothing to God.   I'd tell him that all that matters is what Heavenly Father thinks of him, and he believes in him!  I'd remind him what he has often told me....,"Just do your best and serve and treat others as Jesus did."   The only person you need to prove yourself to, is God.
Now that's what I would love to tell Pierce, but didn't.  He is where he is and is learning life lessons that will mold him into the man that God knows him to be.  He's becoming stronger everyday.  I know with all of my heart that Pierce was sent to that particular mission for a reason.  He knows that as well.  Man, being a Missionary Momma is not for the weak!  I've learned more about faith in the last 14 months, than I have in the last 42 years.  I'm grateful for that!  Pierce is not the kind of person to get homesick.  I don't believe he is homesick now either, but on a positive note, I don't think he'll be one of those missionaries that is super sad to leave for home!  For that, I'm grateful!

Here are a few excepts from today's email:

"Conference was so good!  Elder  Bednar;s talk was great.  There was a lot said about repentance and putting your focus on the right things. I also really liked the one by Elder Jorg Klebingat. "

"We are teaching a girl named __, who’s 15.  She’s a little rebellious.  She has a 19 year old boyfriend, which is pretty normal here.  Basically the missionaries have taught her before but she never wanted anything to do with it until now. She’s been going to church and even seminary now for about a month and she wants to get baptized.  The only problema is the law of chastity. "THE ONLY PROBLEM" sigh.... I really want ___ to be happy.   Her boyfriend is a drug addict.  People just can’t see their own situations at times. The lessons with her are going really good.  She’s really smart and knows that chastity is important.  It’s just her boyfriend is a bad influence.   There is a definite lesser amount of good guys here in Chile to choose from. "

"Really, this world is going downhill. I don’t know if it’s just Chile, being a missionary's perspective or what, but it’s pretty much accepted here, to cheat,  to have more than one girlfriend, things like that. I know all the same things happen in the states, but I don’t know if it is as common. It’s sad. She’s a really good girl.  The problema is the whole world does it, so why is it bad?  Well, because God said so. You’d be surprised to see how hard that is to get through to peoplehttps://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif. "

"The people don’t take their own advice or use much logic here. Their problems aren't that bad.  Just the little adjustments will make ALL the difference, like they said in conference. But you know what it honestly is, I HATE seeing people not progress!  I'm not talking about investigators either, how they don’t read, pray or go to church.   I see people who've been in the same place their whole life, and it’s not how life should be. You’ve got to be constantly moving forward!  I guess that must be what I miss most.   My own progression…, because now it seems to be on pause.  Nobody here seems to want to improve or have goals. I don’t like watching it.  But, eh that’s life. "

"I’m TRYING to make the most out of every day here!   It’s weird. I can’t find happiness here in the mission.   I can’t be ok with the situations I'm in. At home I was content, but here…, I'm not at all. I’m trying to be though. It’s just weird, I don’t feel like I've been myself at all this whole time, and I'm…,  well honestly bored here where I am right now.  My companion and I have very different definitions of work. It’s just going too slow for me.  I'll probably be here for 3- 4 more months.  I’m trying to change my mind set.  I really want to try here in P!  I don’t know, I just want a companion who wants or goes faster.  The problema with the missiion is a lot of times you have a weight with a chain about 5 feet from the door of the house called your companion, and you can’t leave without him or do the things you feel are right if they don’t want to. 

The Pres won’t listen to me.  He doesn’t like me.  He’s good and all, but every time in the past that I’ve talked to him, he doesn’t buy it or something?   I don’t know how to explain it.   I really do like him though" 

" 9 more months.  I can’t wait to share the góspel at home. I just wish I could see more people respond to it here. But yea,  pretty much just want to be happy and see cool things happen. I have seen and experienced a lot of cool things, but I want to see more." 



No comments:

Post a Comment