Serving a Mission in Chile, Antofagasta for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Serving a Mission in Chile, Antofagasta for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Serving in the Chile, Antofagasta Mission

Saturday, July 12, 2014

1st Week in Antofagasta

I didn't do a blog post last week.  Elder McMullan was getting his bearings down.  He was getting acquainted with the area, his new Comp and the other 2 Elders he lives with.  His new Companion is Elder Golpe from Argentina.  He lives with Elder Stokes from California and Elder Rogers from Arizona.
He had quite the "welcoming" from some "ladies" in the sector.  Let's just say they weren't shy.  Way more aggressive than any before.  

Here's some excerpts form last weeks email:  

"That’s awesome that Dad finished 25th in the world.  Who won? Musical Island boys I imagine?  I can only Imagine Aiden during a concert or show or whatever it’s called.  Sitting through people singing for that long. Sounds like you had fun there, how is it? (Vegas)  Pretty vulgar and dirty I imagine?"

"Antofagasta is huge. I feel so weird here.  Elder Rogers (one of the other Elders that lives with Pierce) actually lives like 2 minutes away from Tyler. They go to the same church building and everything, but not the same ward.   Elder Rogers and Stokes are awesome.  We have a lot in common.  Elder Golpe is cool too though, pretty relaxed for an Argentinean.  One of the first things he told me was "I know I'm from Argentina, but I'm not a stereotype like the rest." 

"This area is known as “Ghetto” because everyone is "flaite."  My sector is mostly those type of people. So yesterday…, oh my.  These 5 women, probably like 20-30 in age…..,we stopped because we were waiting for a lady to get home.  There were people playing soccer, so we were watching while waiting. It was in a really "flaite" (ghetto) area. These people were all drinking and smoking and stuff and talking to me because of my hair and stuff.   Then these girls started talking to me.    We told them what we do and stuff as missionaries. They asked if we drink or smoke.  We said no. Then one was like "But you can have sex right?"  I was a little startled and said no. Then she was like "hard to get?  Look I love your eyes and you’re so different than anyone I've seen…., just give me 20 minutes." (she was being completely serious)   Then the other one said something like, "Don’t you think a baby would be beautiful with my skin tone and your eyes?" I was just so confused/ taken back. Then someone asked me "how much?" Then we left!  They weren't even drinking or anything. CRAZY.  So that happened."

"Our sector is cool and most of those women don’t live nearby which is good. The members here are awesome too.  We had over 100 people in church! I've never seen that here in any of my other areas.  Ever." 

No comments:

Post a Comment